Hi!!! It’s been a while since I last posted, but school started so it’s crunch time again. I personally love going to school, but school means I’m stuck with eating oatmeal and egg everyday for breakfast. I love oatmeal, but it’s nice to change things up. Since it’s the weekend, I decided to get a bit creative and came up with….. Spinach Oatmeal Pancakes!!!.
I know spinach, oatmeal, and pancake aren’t words that sound appetizing together, but trust me, they were AMAZING!!!! They were so fluffy and rich, I couldn’t tell they didn’t have flour or dairy. I couldn’t even taste the spinach (I managed to sneak in an entire serving’s worth)
Anyways, some useful tips:
- Wait until the pan is extremely hot before putting the pancakes on the grill, that way they’re less likely to stick
- Wait for the edges to firm up before flipping. If they aren’t the pancake will break, not pretty
- For maximal height and fluffiness, cook the pancakes as soon as possible. More “still” time means more of the baking powder is reacting in the batter, not leavening the pancakes
- If it takes more than 1 batch to use all the batter, regrease the pan and turn the heat down when cooking to prevent burning.
- Serve as quickly as possible
Spinach Oatmeal Pancakes
- 1/2 cup oats
- 1/2 cup spinach, cooked
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 large egg or 2 small egg whites
- sweetener or spices, optional
- 1/2 cup water, scant
Measure out all the ingredients except the spinach and place in a blender. Finely chop the spinach, put into blender, and blend until all ingredients are completely blended. Add oil or cooking spray to a pan and place on high heat until smoking hot. When the pan is hot, drop the batter in 2 tablespoons rounds. When the batter bubbles and the edges are firm. Serve and Enjoy!!!!