Hi! So this weekend, Shasmun happened! It’s my school’s very own MUN conference. Even better, my resolution passed and I got Most Diplomatic!!!!!! Since I was pretty busy representing New Zealand in the General Assembly, I forgot to post, but don’t worry, my mom made oxtail soup. Onto the cooking!!!!
Some tips :
- Before making the soup, trim off the fat or parboil the meat or else the soup will end up overly greasy
- The best add-in’s are vegetables with a unami flavor such as tomatoes, mushrooms and spinach. Those flavors compliment very well with the earthyness of the oxtail.
- Divide the tomatoes and put one group in at the beginning and the other at the very end. That way, the soup will have flavor and not all the tomatoes will melt into the soup.
- 500-600g oxtail
- 4-5 medium tomatoes, chopped (more or less, depending on taste)
- vermicelli (soaked at least 3hrs)
- onion, peeled and chopped
- cooking wine
- ginger (sliced into wide, thin pieces)
- green onions, finely chopped
- Defrost and soak the meat for 2-3hrs and wash thoroughly to remove blood.
- Put the meat in a pot with some of the ginger and cooking wine. Parboil for 10-15min.
- Remove from heat and transfer to a pressure cooker. Add 2-3l of water, 1-2 tomatoes and potato.
- Cook under pressure for 40-50min then remove pressure and add in the rest of the tomatoes and vermicelli. Continue cooking for another 10-15min.
- Add in the rest of the ingredients and cook for 1-2 more minutes. Serve and enjoy!!!!